Saturday, August 2, 2008

Knowing Your Place

Okay, so it's not quite "Twilight Zone" material. Still, I had to laugh this morning when the following happened.

My newest favorite place to organize and write these days is The Roasterie, in a very nice section of Kansas City called Brookside. A nice change of pace from Starbuck's, The Roasterie is basically right up the street from me. So ... I went in this morning, knapsack over my shoulder, marched up to the counter, thought about what I felt like ordering and then ...

"Grande coffee."

And as soon as the words rolled off my tongue and out of my mouth, I started laughing.

Then, the apology.

"I can't believe I just said that," I told the man in front of the register. "That was a bit wild."

"It's okay," he smiled, "It happens more than you'd think.

Not to make a huge deal out of this, but think about that for a second. Well, you don't have to. I'll do it for you. The funny thing about this is that it took me literally years to get into the habit of talking in "Starbucks-speak" whenever I'd place my order at Starbuck's. I'd always have to glance at the overhead menu board, just to get the correct wording down. We all know the dangers of not saying the right words. Heaven forbid, to end up with a latte with soy milk when the target beverage is a cappuccino with 2%.

But this morning at The Roasterie, one of the anti-SB's types of places - a local place, you know, fighting back against the "Wal-Martization" of our culture, etc...., And here I was throwing Starbuck's right smack into their faces. Shame on me.

Luckily, they didn't throw me out of the place, onto my tush. They not only allowed me to stay, but they actually served me my "16 ounce" regular coffee with a smile. I like these people. I think I'll continue to go there and will simply think before I speak when it comes to ordering my coffee. It's crucial in today's day and age, to know your place. I won't make that mistake again.

No comments:

Search This Blog