Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Settling In

Today’s slice of heaven. Editing photos from the latest KC batch of interviews – in Photoshop. You know, contrast, brighness, color, cropping, sizing, head shots etc… while listening to Burton Cummings and "The Guess Who" blasting out “American Woman” on an iTune's radio station. I love plugging into one of those 60’s and 70’s hits stations every now and then. Just now, they followed with another "Guess Who" hit - "No Time" - which quite possibly may be one of my all-time favorite songs. (I say that a lot).

Okay, so I know this is going to sound like I'm ready for an Eldercation interview but here goes: "They don't write 'em like they used to." They really don't. At some point soon, whenever I get around to making final modifications, I'm going to share a very special list with the blogosphere. It's something I compiled over the past few months as I moved across the highways and side roads of the Midwest. What started out as an "HJ's Top 20 Songs" listing ended up being more like a top-100 list. The funny thing is, every time I hear a song on the radio that I like, I end up adding it to my list, so who knows when I'll be ready to unveil it, if ever?

I’ve been spending a lot of time in The Plaza library and find that editing photos and writing is a relaxing and productive way to start most days. Slowly, I'm beginning to move into more of a routine here. I started working a job last week which is good, not only because of the improved cash flow, which relaxes me and lets me know I’m not going to end up on KC’s skid row anytime soon. But it also creates a schedule for me. When it’s time to work, it’s time to work. And when I’m done, I know it’s time for Eldercation and I can devote my time solely to that.

The City Of Fountains - As things have settled down, I’ve also started to take in the Plaza and all it has to offer. Man, there are some good places to eat here. Or lively spots to have coffee or just hang out and people watch. I didn’t realize it, but Kansas City is known as “The City Of Fountains” which, come to think of it, explains why I've been noticing all kinds of fountains around here. Most of the fountains are actually quite pretty and I find myself sitting by them every once in awhile to relax. I guess it's something about the sound of the running water, the spray ... (click on the photo on the left, close your eyes, and enjoy). Can you tell I miss H2O? At some point soon, I'm going to have to take a trip to see the ocean, just to remind me that it exists.

I don’t have as much daily updating right now since it’s not like when I was on the road, discovering new places and people every time I took a step. Now, there’s a job in place and transcriptions ... lots of transcriptions. I love the process but it's what we’d call busy work and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't enjoy hearing about my transcription experiences each and every day. Still, as I move through the interviews and listen to the people as though I’m sitting with them for the first time, I will be posting things about them as I write. The U.S. map on the first page will most likely be where you'll see most of this material, so you can see who the person is and where they’re from. Sometimes, if the spirit moves me, I’ll post some things in the blog section as well. We'll see how it unfolds.

Back to work.

I'm listening to Ricky Nelson singing "Garden Party."

Yes. Of course.

It's headed for the list.

No comments:

Search This Blog