Tuesday, May 22, 2007

"Welcome to Casa Loma"

I'm going to live in Kansas City?

Okay. So If I keep saying that line over and over again, only then does the concept start to sink in.

But, seriously, I put a deposit down on a very nice (and very affordable) apartment in a wonderful area of Kansas City, known as The Plaza District. After I dropped off my check this morning, I figured it'd be a good time to dust off the camera and show you my new neighborhood, it being such a gorgeous day.

I looked at a few places a few days ago and all were about the same price, but some of the places ... well ... let's just say I was an RA once in college and I don't want to re-live the experience. Some of the apartments were just a bit too close to the action for me. Sure, the bikini-clad babes sunning themselves at a pool at one of the places - yes, they caught my attention. But, c'mon. What am I doing here? Action is good - I'm a fan of it. Especially that kind of action if the time (and woman) is right. But I have work to do now and it's crucial that I keep my focus, bikini's or not. Yes, I want the option of being able to mix with people when I feel the urge. That ole' HJ isolation default setting ... I have to keep my eye on that. If I'm not careful, I can easily slip into a corner and I know that's not the best thing for me. For anybody, come to think of it. The truth is, I often create best when I'm sitting in a Starbucks, library or park, just so I can look up and see other human beings. And if I'm really lucky, I get to meet new people that way as well. And if I'm exceptionally lucky, an Eldercation participant falls right into my lap.

And, by the way, I haven't shut down the interviewing completely. No way. I'm going to be interviewing seniors until ... well ... until someone wants to interview me!! Just last week I got a surprise call from a contact at the St. Louis Cardinals front office. Two months ago I reached out to someone there and I'd completely forgotten about it. But isn't funny how things sometime work? Out of nowhere, I have a good chance to interview not one, but two former St. Louis Cardinal hall-of-famers. I'll hold off on the names. But let's just say, you know who they are - if you're a baseball fan, that is.

Search This Blog