Friday, February 2, 2007

The Wichita Lineman

I started the drive around 7:00 AM, after loading my bags into the car. It was good to have them with me again. To my left, I watched the pale golden sun peek its way out from behind the low wispy clouds, bringing a bit of warmth to the cold, early morning winter sky; such a different look from its spring or summer counterpart. Finally, the chance to see a sky-view wider than West 87th Street, and the excitement in knowing there would be many more sights like it to come over the coming weeks. It was truly beautiful.

As I started my drive on I-35, (which was to be the only road of the day, all the way to Dallas), I looked out at the flat land, covered with about 6 inches of snow. The time was right to test out my newly downloaded iTunes music. It was time for ... well ... why not Glen Campbell? There was something just right about listening to "Wichita Lineman" as I rumbled down I-35. The fact is when I downloaded the Jimmy Webb song off of iTunes back in November, I pretty knew I'd be calling on it to join me for a moment like this morning's, with the sun rising on a cold Kansas morning, sipping my Dunkin Donut's coffee, (thank you for the DD coupons, Jeanette).

Fascinating photo, huh? By the time I snapped this, the snow was long gone and I was well into Oklahoma, "where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain." You see that hill up ahead? That was it in terms of a topography change. Still, it didn't matter. I'd never been on this road before and there is something special about driving on new roads, seeing new places. It gets my mind going - energizes me. It always has, as far back as I can remember.

The CD's certainly came in handy on their first go-round. I put together about 2 gigs worth and am pretty sure I made a run through every song at least one time this morning. And certain songs popped on at conspicuous times, too, which made me think about some of the reading I've been doing about vibrations and source energy. I know, earthy, crunchy and all that. Still, it's only been what? 24 hours and already certain things have happened to me on this trip that seemed somewhat strange in their timing. You know, the whole serendipity thing. Must be my imagination, huh?

There is nothing, I mean nothing better than singing at full voice in the car the way I did today. I don't think I've belted it out that way for over a decade now and it felt great. And it helps in terms of making time pass quickly. Before I knew it, five hours had passed and I was in Texas looking at signs for ham and sausage sandwiches.

No comments:

Search This Blog